|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Reedy River Industrial Historic District, Greenville County (Greenville)
| The Greenville Coach
| Markley Carriage
| Markley Hardware
422 S. Main St.
| Huguenot Mill
| Huguenot Mill
| The Cotton
South Main St.
The Reedy River Industrial Complex is the only area in downtown Greenville which has maintained its historic and architectural character as a nineteenth and early twentieth century industrial and commercial district. Featuring six industrial or commercial structures constructed between 1850 and 1914, the Reedy River Industrial Complex represents Greenville’s transition from a nineteenth century summer resort and agricultural village into a leading international textile center. Visually connected by the Reedy River, these structures were historically developed as portions of a related industrial complex which served the Greenville Coach - Markley Carriage Factory and the Huguenot Mill. The contributing resources include: the Greenville Coach Factory Blacksmith Shop (ca. 1850); the Markley Carriage Factory Paint Shop (prior to 1915); the Markley Hardware Store (between 1905 and 1914); the Huguenot Mill (1882); the Huguenot Mill Office (ca. 1890-1900); and the Cotton Warehouse (between 1908-1913). Listed in the National Register January 14, 1979.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Reedy River Industrial Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.