|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
William Bates House, Greenville County (S.C. Hwy. 14, Batesville vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique|| Left Rear
|Rear Elevation|| Right Rear
|Right Elevation||Porch Detail||Clapboard Detail||Main Entrance|| Interior
The William Bates House, a ca. 1835 vernacular structure, is primarily significant for its associative value as the home of textile pioneer William Bates. Bates was a leader in the development of the textile industry which spurred the growth of the Piedmont section of South Carolina. He has been referred to as “one of the most successful textile manufacturers in the state.” The house which Bates probably built circa 1835 is believed to be the sole remaining structure associated with the textile pioneer. William Bates arrived in South Carolina from Rhode Island in 1819. For the next several years he worked for various textile mills in the Piedmont area of South Carolina, as well as in North Carolina. In 1833 he purchased 300 acres located on Rocky Creek in Greenville County. Here he established the mill and community which became known as “Batesville.” According to tradition, in 1881 the old mill burned and was replaced by a brick structure. Built upon granite and fieldstone piers, the house is a two-story vernacular structure covered with clapboard siding and a tin gabled roof. Both the front and rear facades feature one-story shed-roofed porches extending the length of these facades. Both porches are supported by nine simple wooden columns. The nominated acreage includes a barn and a spring. Listed in the National Register December 4, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.