South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Downtown Baptist Church, Greenville County (101 W. McBee Ave., Greenville)
S1081772301201 S1081772301202 S1081772301203 S1081772301204 S1081772301205
Facade Right Oblique Left Oblique Left Elevation Interior
S1081772301206 S1081772301207      
2nd Floor
Stained Glass
Window Detail

(Greenville First Baptist Church) For many years Greenville has been a stronghold of the Baptist denomination in the state, and the Downtown Baptist Church has been one of the focal points of that strength. Downtown Baptist Church is a large Greek Revival structure constructed in 1858. The church was designed by Samuel Sloan, noted architect of the mid-to-late nineteenth century. Set upon a high raised basement, Downtown Baptist Church features six Ionic columns supporting a pediment and tall central spire. It is constructed of brick covered with stucco. Numerous concrete steps lead to the portico which has three double glass entrance doors, each capped by a pediment. Above each entranceway is a window with vertical mullion. The side facades have six bays separated by pilasters, each bay featuring a stained glass window. On the basement level there are 8/8 windows and an entranceway. Alterations were made to the exterior facades and interior ca. 1915. Building additions were completed ca. 1914, 1940, 1950, and 1957. By the 1970s many in the congregation felt the need for a larger building. At that time a majority of the congregation moved into a new building, taking the name of First Baptist with them. A sufficiently large group chose to remain in the older structure, and in 1974 they organized as Downtown Baptist Church. Listed in the National Register August 16, 1977.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.