|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Fairview Presbyterian Church, Greenville County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 55, Fountain Inn vicinity)
Organized in 1786, Fairview Presbyterian Church is one of the oldest churches in the South Carolina upcountry. Fairview Presbyterian Church was constructed in 1858 and is a white clapboard, two-story structure and is virtually original. The church exemplifies the Greek Revival style with its clapboard siding, square columns, and pedimented portico. Other features of the building, such as the twin entrances under the portico and the side doors which lead to the gallery, are also indicative of the meeting house style which frequently influenced rural churches. Original interior features still in use are the pulpit and pews, their feather graining intact. Although a one-story section was added to the rear in 1949 the building’s architectural integrity has been retained. There have been four church buildings on the present site. According to church records, the third church was brick and was dedicated on August 11, 1818. This church was replaced by the present frame structure. Fairview’s cemetery is significant in its own right, the oldest graves dating from 1797. There are graves of seven Revolutionary War soldiers, plus those of soldiers in later wars, as well as those of slaves. A fieldstone wall surrounds the cemetery. Listed in the National Register August 16, 1977.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.