|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Earle Towne House, Greenville County (107 James St., Greenville)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Gate|| Perimeter Street-
The Earle Town House is an architectural, historical, and aesthetic asset. An architecturally distinguished example of a late Georgian dwelling, one of the few extant in upper South Carolina, the residence is one of two houses within Greenville remaining from the city’s earliest history. Its park-like grounds, shaded by old trees and enclosed by an ivy-covered grillwork fence, feature the sanded front walk typical of its earlier years, a handsome garden front entrance of grillwork and brick, and an ivy mound approximately 100 years old (built after 1856). A rear garden with fountain is patterned after Edgar Allen Poe’s Richmond, Virginia garden. That the home now known as the Earle Town House was built at least by 1810 is indicated by the 1910 birthday celebration marking its 100th anniversary. Outstanding features include distinctive wood and glass detailing surrounding the front door, double front steps, a Palladian window on the second story, hand carved mantels, six paneled doors, and raised paneled dado. The Earle House site was originally part of the plantation of the pioneer Earle family. The family came from Virginia shortly after the Revolution and settled in this wooded, Blue Ridge foothills section. Elias T. Earle, whose father was an early member of the Virginia House of Burgesses, was one of the first members of the family in South Carolina, figuring prominently in the history and development of the Greenville area and of the state. He was a state senator from Greenville District, a U.S. Congressman, a silk grower, a manufacturer, and first Commissioner of Indian Affairs under the U.S. government. Also born in the house was another leading figure, Judge and U.S. Senator Joseph Haynsworth Earle, great grandson of Elias T. Listed in the National Register August 5, 1969.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.