South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Hobcaw Barony, Georgetown County (U.S. Hwy. 17, Georgetown vicinity)
S1081772203616 S1081772203617 S1081772203618 S1081772203619 S1081772203620
Friendfield Village
Chruch and Dispensary
Friendfield Village
Slave Cabin
Bellefield House
Stable Complex
Dogfood Stove
Friendfield Village
Mocking's House
Barnyard Village
S1081772203621 S1081772203622 S1081772203623 S1081772203624 S1081772203625
Strawberry Village
Strawberry Village
Alderley Landing Friendfield Plantation
Rice Mill Ruin
S1081772203626 S1081772203627 S1081772203628 S1081772203629  
Friendfield Plantation
Rice Mill Ruin
Calais Cemetery Marietta/Bellefield
Bellefield Airport

Previous Page 2 of 2

(Bellefield Plantation) Hobcaw Barony is a 15,680-acre tract that includes buildings, structures, landscape features and sites associated with the continuing use of the land from ca. 1730 until 1943. Individual components, such as buildings, roadways, cemeteries, canals and embankments, reflect the use of the property over time. They illustrate the evolution of lower Waccamaw Neck from the development of rice plantations, through the antebellum period of concentrated rice cultivation, to the post-Civil War conversion of former plantations to winter resorts where natural and cultural landscapes were conserved for duckhunting and entertainment. Hobcaw House was built in 1930, and retains a high degree of integrity of design, materials, and workmanship throughout. Its architecture is a good example of the popular Colonial Revival influence that was supplanting the rustic style of earlier hunting club lodges. The house was designed by the Columbia firm Lafaye and Lafaye. Designs of buildings and landscaping at the Hobcaw House and the Bellefield House complexes are typical of properties that were constructed or reused by hunting plantation owners for themselves and their employees. The entire site includes 42 contributing buildings, 53 contributing sites, and 25 contributing structures. Numerous outbuildings include such examples as various barns, pumphouses, various sheds, cottages, slave settlements/cabins, and a church. The source of the name lies in the 1718 royal grant to John, Lord Carteret, a “barony” of 12, 000 acres on the southern portion of Waccamaw Neck, called Hobcaw Point. Between 1766 and 1767 the property was surveyed, divided, and sold as several parcels. Listed in the National Register November 2, 1994.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.