|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Black River Plantation House, Georgetown County (off S.C. Sec. Rd. 4, Oatland vicinity)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation||Left Elevation||Main Entrance|
|Portico Detail|| Interior
| View of the
(Rice Hope Plantation, Black River; International Paper Company House) Black River Plantation House is a significant example of Neo-Classical Revival style of architecture in Georgetown County. Built in 1919 by James A. Waddell, it stands on a high bluff at the apex of a hairpin turn in the Black River north of Georgetown and commands a superb view of the river and old rice fields along its banks. The land upon which the house stands has historically been known as Rice Hope Plantation, Black River. In front of the house on the riverbanks is Post Foot Landing at which Waddell built a cement dock with brick steps leading up the bank to the front lawn of the house. The house is two and one-half story house clad in weatherboard, with a hipped roof with a ridge and four external brick chimneys. The riverside fašade is considered the front elevation. The portico is supported by four massive wooden columns with Corinthian capitals. A semi-circular fanlight appears in the pediment. The roof of each of the sun porches is surrounded by a wooden baluster and rail. The interior is appointed with finely detailed architectural components manufactured by the Miller Manufacturing Company of Richmond, VA. The house served as a single family dwelling until it was purchased by the International Paper Company in 1942, after which it was used by company employees and guests as a resort. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1994.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.