|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Cedar Grove Plantation Chapel, Georgetown County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 255, Waverly Mills vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique|| Rear Elevation
(Summer Chapel, All Saints Episcopal Church, Waccamaw) The Cedar Grove Plantation Chapel (built ca. 1850), now at All Saints’ Episcopal Church, Waccamaw, was subsequently the Summer Chapel, All Saints’ Episcopal Church, and still later the Chapel of St. John the Evangelist, All Saints’ Episcopal Church. It is significant as an intact example of mid-nineteenth century vernacular church architecture. The small frame Gothic Revival style chapel with front gable roof has an engaged, denticulated, pedimented portico supported by four, paneled, square columns with a slat balustrade. The building stands on a modern brick foundation. The rear fašade also has a denticulated pedimented bale and has three pointed arched windows. The simple sanctuary has a raised pulpit area flanked by a small vesting room and a sacristy. The chapel is also significant for its association with the institution of slavery on antebellum rice plantations in Georgetown County and for its association with All Saints’ Episcopal Church. Listed in the National Register March 13, 1991.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.