South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

All Saints' Episcopal Church, Waccamaw, Georgetown County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 255, Waverly Mills vicinity)
S1081772203301 S1081772203302 S1081772203303 S1081772203304 S1081772203305
Facade Left Oblique Left Elevation Rear Elevation Main Entrance
S1081772203306 S1081772203307 S1081772203308 S1081772203309 S1081772203310
Interior
Sanctuary
Cemetery
Overview
Cemetery
John Ashe Alston
Grave Marker
Cemtery
Joshua John Ward
Grave Marker
Rectory

All Saints’ Episcopal Church was one of the most significant Episcopal churches in the South Carolina lowcountry in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Its first congregation was formed in 1739, and the church has been located at this site since then. Four extant historic resources—the historic sanctuary, cemetery, rectory, and chapel—are significant for their association with All Saints’ and for their architectural or artistic characteristics. The sanctuary, built 1916-1917, the fourth to serve this congregation, is significant as an excellent example of Classical Revival style, adapting the design of the church’s nineteenth century sanctuary which burned in 1915. It is a one-story rectangular brick building sheathed in scored stucco. It has an engaged pedimented portico supported by four fluted Greek Doric columns. A Doric frieze, composed of triglyphs, metopes, and guttae, runs under the cornice around the building on three sides. The church has a large center aisle sanctuary with a coved tray ceiling. The church cemetery, established in the 1820s, is significant for the persons buried there, many of who were the leading public figures of antebellum Georgetown County. It is also significant a collection of outstanding gravestone art from ca.1820 to ca.1900. It is surrounded by a pierced brick fence (ca. 1930) with wrought iron gates. The church rectory, built in 1822, is an intact example of a Carolina I-House. The rear fašade has been changed several times. The slave chapel at All Saints’ is nominated separately. Listed in the National Register March 13, 1991.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.