|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Summer Chapel, Prince Frederick's Episcopal Church, Georgetown County
(S.C. Sec. Rd. 52, Plantersville)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Left Rear Oblique||Left Elevation|
This church is significant as a basically intact rural church building of the early nineteenth century, later serving as a summer chapel used by Pee Dee River rice planters in their summer community at Plantersville. It was finished by 1836, and was called Prince Frederick’s Chapel, Pee Dee. As the congregation at Prince Frederick’s grew, construction began on a new sanctuary in 1859. It remained unfinished, however, until after the Civil War, not being occupied until 1877. In 1877 this 1837 chapel was moved to Plantersville, to replace the summer chapel there, which had fallen into disrepair. This one story chapel is of frame construction with clapboard exterior walls. It has a gable roof covered with standing seam metal. The fašade features wooden double doors with a low peaked architrave. The entrance is sheltered by a hipped roof porch supported by four chamfered wood posts set on tall iron posts. The apse and transept, along with a belfry (no longer extant) and cross, were added when the building was moved to its present location in 1877. Listed in the National Register October 3, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the Georgetown County Rice Culture, ca. 1750-ca. 1910 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.