|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Summer Chapel Rectory, Price Frederick's Episcopal Church, Georgetown County
(S.C. Sec. Rd. 52, Plantersville)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|
The rectory is significant as an intact example of a mid-nineteenth century residence. The simple frame building on high piers is similar to houses used as retreats by lowcountry planters. It is also significant for its association with the summer migrations of the Georgetown County rice planters. The building was constructed c.1850 as a rectory after the original summer chapel of Prince Frederick’s Episcopal Church was built in the pineland village of Plantersville. It served as the rectory for that chapel and the present chapel, which was moved to its present location in 1877 after the original chapel was abandoned. The rectory is a one-and-one-half-story frame building with a clapboard exterior on a raised brick foundation. The standing seam metal roof is gabled, and a one-story engaged porch extends across the fašade. The house is basically U-shaped. Listed in the National Register October 3, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the Georgetown County Rice Culture, ca. 1750-ca. 1910 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.