|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Rural Hall Plantation, Georgetown County (off S.C. Sec. Rd. 179, Georgetown vicinity)
|Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Rear Oblique|
This house is significant as a particularly intact example of the main houses of Georgetown County rice plantations and for its association with Rural Hall, one of several plantations on the Black River. Though the plantation was known as Rural Hall as early as 1803 the main house was built ca.1850 by Christopher James Atkinson. Atkinson produced 180,000 pounds of rice with 70 slaves in 1850 and 270,000 pounds of rice with 98 slaves in 1860. At his death the plantation passed to his niece, Margaret Thompson, who was the wife of Stephen W. Rouquie. Rouquie, a Georgetown merchant, served as an officer in the “Georgetown Rifle Guards,” Company A of 10th South Carolina Infantry during the Civil War. He planted rice at Rural Hall for over thirty years after the war. Rouquie sold the plantation after the storms of 1893 and 1898 destroyed his crops and his ricefields. A notable feature of this house is that it not only has a porch across the main fašade facing the river, but it also has an identical porch on the opposite (land) side, which is visible from the road. A small bathroom addition, not visible from the road, projects from the west side of the house. Listed in the National Register October 3, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the Georgetown County Rice Culture, ca. 1750-ca. 1910 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.