|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Richmond Hill Plantation Archaeological Site, Georgetown County (Address Restricted)
|House Site||House Site||Oak Avenue|
Archaeological investigations at Richmond Hill Plantation have identified remains of the planter’s house, two possible overseers’ houses, approximately 20 slave houses, a slave cemetery, a rice barn, and rice fields and dikes. As a unit these sites are significant since they comprise the Richmond Hill Plantation complex. The plantation house, overseers’ houses, and slave houses were all burned by ca. 1930. Richmond Hill plantation was one of the few plantations on the Waccamaw River which did not produce either the quantity or quality of rice expected of a plantation in All Saints’ Parish. It was owned by Dr. John D. Magill, who had the unenviable reputation of being one of the least efficient planters in the area and of being the most brutal slaveowner among the Georgetown District rice planters. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the Georgetown County Rice Culture, ca. 1750-ca. 1910 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.