|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Wicklow Hall Plantation, Georgetown County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 30, North Santee vicinity)
|Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Left Rear Oblique|| Outbuilding
Wicklow Plantation was a major rice plantation during the mid-1800s, the heyday of the rice culture in Georgetown County. Wicklow is also significant for its associations with the prominent Lowndes family of South Carolina (between ca. 1831 and 1860), and also reflects the changing patterns of land-ownership in Georgetown County during the early 20th century. In 1899, Wicklow was purchased by a large rice planting firm, S.M. Ward Company, but rice cultivation was unsuccessful. In 1912, the company conveyed a large acreage, including Wicklow, to the Kinloch Gun Club. Consisting of a plantation house and several dependencies, Wicklow exemplifies a mid-19th century plantation complex. The Wicklow Hall Plantation House is a two-story clapboard structure, set upon a low brick foundation, with Greek Revival features on the interior and exterior. The main portion of the structure was probably built between ca. 1831 and 1840. Sometime after 1912 the structure was enlarged by additions to the rear and right facades. The front fašade originally featured a five-bay porch with slender wooden pillars. At nomination it consisted of a three-bay porch (screened in) and a two-bay enclosed section. Several outbuildings, several believed to be contemporary with the house, are also located on the property. These include a kitchen, corn crib, carriage house, a small house (believed to have been slave quarters), stable, privy, and a schoolhouse. Listed in the National Register August 29, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.