South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Brookgreen Gardens, Georgetown County (U.S. Hwy 17, Murrells Inlet vicinity)
S1081772201301 S1081772201302 S1081772201303 S1081772201304 S1081772201305
Overview of
Brookgreen Gardens
Loggia of the
Museum of
Small Sculpture
"Fighting Stallions" "Pegasus" "Frog Baby"
S1081772201306 S1081772201307 S1081772201308 S1081772201309 S1081772201310
"The Scraper" "Diana" "Susan" "The end of the trail" Garden View
S1081772201311 S1081772201312      
Laurel Hill
Oaks Cemetery

Brookgreen Gardens is known today as a botanical and sculpture garden. The nominated portion of the Gardens covers 1600 acres and includes three 18th and 19th century plantation sites, old plantation rice fields, and garden areas complete with sculpture. The property has significance in multiple areas, including art, archeology, agriculture, landscape architecture, military, politics/government, cemeteries, and social history. The Brookgreen Gardens property was part of an early rice plantation system that developed on the banks of the Waccamaw River in the 18th century. William Allston (1738-1781) developed the land into a plantation ca. 1760. He was the father of internationally noted artist Washington Allston, born here in 1779. Joseph Allston, Governor of South Carolina from 1812 to 1814 is buried here. Robert F.W. Allston, born here in 1801, was Governor of South Carolina from 1856 to 1858. Other persons associated with the plantations on the Brookgreen property include Joshua Ward, a noted agriculturist who developed long-grain rice, and Pulitzer Prize winning author Julia Peterkin. Brookgreen Garden’s founders, Archer Milton Huntington and Anna Hyatt Huntington, purchased the property in 1930 and developed it into a garden and sculpture museum. Anna Hyatt Huntington was a well-known sculptor, and some of her work is included in the gardens she designed. The site is considered to be the largest outdoor museum of sculpture in the United States. Listed in the National Register April 15, 1978; Designated a National Historic Landmark October 5, 1992.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.