South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Arcadia Plantation, Georgetown County (off U.S. Hwy. 17, Waccamaw Neck)
S1081772201201 S1081772201202 S1081772201203 S1081772201204 S1081772201205
Facade Facade
Portico Detail
Right Oblique Right Oblique
Left Oblique
S1081772201206 S1081772201207 S1081772201208 S1081772201209 S1081772201210
Rear Elevation Right Rear Oblique Main Entrance Terrace Gardens Interior
Fireplace Mantel
S1081772201211 S1081772201212 S1081772201213 S1081772201214 S1081772201215
Sitting Room
Fireplace Mantel
Stair Brackets
St. Ann's Church
Guest House
S1081772201216 S1081772201217 S1081772201218    
Brick Stables
ca. 1880
Rear Elevation, n.d.

(Prospect Hill Plantation) The history of Arcadia Plantation dates from the 18th century when it was known as Prospect Hill and was the seat of a large productive rice plantation. Prospect Hill was one of many Georgetown County rice plantations which together eventually led the nation in rice production. Arcadia is also significant as having been the residence of three families—the Allstons, Hugers, and Wards—who were actively involved in the political and social affairs of the state. Prospect Hill became “Arcadia” ca. 1906 when Dr. Isaac E. Emerson bought the property and added several neighboring plantations to his holdings. The main portion of the house was built ca. 1794 (Federal period) as a two-story clapboard structure set upon a raised brick basement. Arcadia is noted in the nomination as a late example of the Georgian style as influenced by Palladio, with Adamesque interior embellishments. The two flanking wings were added in the early twentieth century. A series of terraced gardens extend from the front of the house toward the Waccamaw River. Evidence indicates that the gardens at Prospect Hill were begun between ca. 1794 and ca. 1837. Near the rear of the house is a large two-story guest house (ca. 1910). Also located at the rear are tennis courts, a bowling alley, and stables constructed of brick from demolished plantation houses in the area. To the north of the house are five tenant houses and a frame church which also has been brick veneered. The property also contains two cemeteries and other plantation-related outbuildings. Listed in the National Register January 13, 1978.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.