South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Battery White, Georgetown County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 18, Belle Isle vicinity)
S1081772201001 S1081772201002 S1081772201003 S1081772201004 S1081772201005
Earthworks Earthworks Earthworks Earthworks Earthworks
S1081772201006 S1081772201007 S1081772201008 S1081772201009 S1081772201010
Earthworks Earthworks View of Winyah Bay
from Earthworks
View of Winyah Bay
from Earthworks
Earthworks viewed
from Winyah Bay
S1081772201011 S1081772201012      
Earthworks viewed
from Winyah Bay
1929 United
Daughters of
the Confederacy

Battery White is a large earthwork battery, or earthwork artillery emplacement, built (ca. 1862) and manned by Confederate troops during the Civil War as a Confederate fortification. It was positioned on Mayrant’s Bluff, overlooking Winyah Bay, where its guns could command the seaward access to the nearby port of Georgetown. Apparently, from the beginning, however, the battery was plagued by insufficient manpower and armaments. In February 1863 it was reported that there were but 53 men and nine guns at Battery White. In January 1864 commanding Brigadier General J. H. Trapier stated that “the position itself is a strong one, and with a proper artillery and a sufficient infantry support might be rendered almost, if not absolutely, impregnable.” Assistance was not available however, and in October 1864 eleven Confederate soldiers deserted the battery and gave information regarding it to R. P. Swann, commander of the U.S.S. Potomska. By February 1865 the battery was reported completely evacuated. Still largely intact, the five hundred foot long fortification is maintained as part of the landscaping for a condominium complex on what was originally Belle Isle Plantation, owned at one-time by Revolutionary War Colonel Peter Horry. Listed in the National Register November 16, 1977.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.