South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Annandale Plantation, Georgetown County (off S.C. Sec. Rd. 30, North Santee vicinity)
S1081772200701 S1081772200702 S1081772200703 S1081772200704 S1081772200705
Facade Right Rear Oblique Main Entrance Interior
S1081772200706 S1081772200707 S1081772200708    
Doctor's House
Slave Cabin

Annandale Plantation, originally named Millbrook, the site of the first tide-operated rice mill constructed in the state (ca. 1792), is one of South Carolina’s finest remaining examples of the rice-plantation era. During the 1850s, Annandale was among the most prosperous of the rice plantations, working approximately 230 slaves and producing 900,000 pounds of rice. Andrew Johnston’s father bequeathed the property to him, and he built the present plantation house in 1833. At that time he renamed the property Annandale after the birthplace of his ancestors in Annandale, Scotland. This two story Greek Revival structure, c.1833, is an excellent example of its style and period, and the giant-order quasi-Tuscan portico sets it off splendidly. The vent in the pediment is a later addition. A rear addition was skillfully integrated into the existing structure ca. 1880; an additional wing to the north was constructed in 1966. All interior moulding details in the front of the house are original. They include the paneled doors, window frames and sills, and beaded baseboards. Window and door frame treatments use square corner blocks, into which are carved acanthus leaves. Situated in a grove of live oaks and landscaped gardens, Annandale includes two existing outbuildings: a slave cabin which has been converted into a recreation building and the plantation-doctor’s house, now a residence. Listed in the National Register October 25, 1973.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.