South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Georgetown Historic District, Georgetown County
S1081772200401 S1081772200402 S1081772200403 S1081772200404 S1081772200405
Georgetown County
100 Block Screven St.
U.S. Post Office
1001 Front St.
The Rice Museum
(Old Market Building)
637 Front St.
Winyah Indigo
Society Hall
501 Prince St.
Masonic Lodge
632 Prince St.
S1081772200406 S1081772200407 S1081772200408 S1081772200409 S1081772200410
Antipedo Baptist
Church Cemetery
Church and Broad Sts.
Prince George Winyah
Episcopal Church
300 Broad St.
Prince George Winyah
Episcopal Church
300 Broad St.
Prince George Winyah
Episcopal Church
Parish Hall
(Georgetown Jail)
301 Screven St.
Prince George Winyah
Episcopal Church
223 Queen St.
S1081772200411 S1081772200412 S1081772200413 S1081772200414 S1081772200415
Temple Beth Elohim
230 Screven St.
Beth Elohim Cemetery
400 Broad St.
Bethel A.M.E. Church
417 Broad St.
Duncan Memorial
United Methodist
Church, Chapel,
and Cemetery
901 Highmarket St.
St. Mary's
Catholic Church
301 Broad St.
S1081772200416 S1081772200417 S1081772200418 S1081772200419 S1081772200420
Screven Cemetery
Screven St.
723 Front St. 721 Front St. Kaminski Building
633 Front St.
631 Front St.

Page 1 of 4 Next

Third oldest city in South Carolina, Georgetown is significant historically, militarily, agriculturally and architecturally. Georgetown was laid out as a city in 1729. In 1735 Georgetown was conveyed to three trustees. A plan of the city was attached to the deed and was the first plan to be preserved. Included in the plan were 174.5 acres for the town and 100 acres for a commons. The town acreage was divided into blocks by five streets running at right angles to the river. Much physical evidence of the past remains. The oldest existing structure in Georgetown is a dwelling which dates from ca. 1737. There are approximately twenty-eight additional 18th century structures as well as eighteen buildings erected during the 19th century prior to the Civil War. The existing structures—homes, churches, public buildings—are of both historical and architectural significance and are situated on heavily shaded, wide streets. The architecture ranges from the simplicity of early colonial, or Georgian, to the elaborate rice plantation era, such as Classical Revival. Listed in the National Register October 14, 1971.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Georgetown Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.