|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Prince George Winyah Church, Georgetown County (Broad & Highmarket Sts., Georgetown)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Left Elevation||Bell Tower|
Prince George, Winyah Parish, among the oldest parishes in South Carolina, was formed in 1721. Its church possesses a handsome Jacobean gable which is one of two noteworthy examples remaining in South Carolina. The church, ca. 1750, is a rectangular handmade brick building with a semicircular apse at the east end and vestibule at the west. From the vestibule and at the roof line rises a square tower, terminating with octagonal sections. One section contains the clock, the other is an arcaded belfry with balustrade, crowned by a cupola like roof and a large cross. The tower and chancel were added in 1824. It was occupied by British troops during the Revolution, at which time the interior was badly burned. The interior features a central aisle leading to the altar in the apse, old box pews, handmade woodwork, a flagstone floor, organ, and choir gallery in the west end. The church and cemetery are surrounded by a wall of molded handmade brick. The church house, ca. 1825, across the street is part of the Georgetown Historic District. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.