|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Young Farm, Florence County (U.S. Hwy. 76, Florence vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Rear Oblique|| Outbuilding
Barn and Silo
The Young Farm is a collection of buildings associated with the dairy farm of Fred H. Young. The farm is significant for its association with Young’s achievements in the field of agriculture. The complex consists of a two-story frame main residence and a collection of outbuildings including a dairy barn, truck shed, cow shed and silos. Fred H. Young, a farmer and partner in Young’s Pedigreed Seed Farms, first won regard throughout the South for his high-grade cottonseed. When the boll weevil drastically reduced cotton production, Young decided to expand into dairy farming, and about 1916 he began his herd with the purchase of Belle de Sarah, a registered Jersey. He slowly and steadily increased his herd and in 1923 decided to begin scientifically testing the yields of his cattle. Belle de Sarah was his first test cow and in her first test year produced 858.10 pounds of butterfat and 16,373 pounds of milk, making her the highest record cow in the South and the first southern cow to win the American Jersey Cattle Club medal of Merit. Young’s continued success was cited as proof that dairy farming was well suited to South Carolina. Herbert Hoover, then secretary of commerce, visited the Young farm while in Florence in 1925 and expressed his belief that South Carolina held great potential for dairy farming. Young’s farm was seen as a model operation and his modest beginnings and low cost operation were recommended for emulation among aspiring dairy farmers. Listed in the National Register November 10, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.