|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
U.S. Post Office, Florence County (Irby & W. Evans Sts., Florence)
|Left Oblique||Rear Elevation|| Interior
First Floor Hall
First Floor Stairway
(Old Post Office) Located in the center of downtown Florence, the Old United States Post Office is a significant example of the Second Renaissance Revival style of architecture. A massive three-story building with hipped roof, the edifice features a cut sandstone basement and first level. Upper floors are of tan brick. The roof is characterized by circular “Eye of a Bull” dormers and heavy cornice brackets supporting projecting eaves. The interior of the building is equally well detailed, featuring English oak paneling, marble stairs, decorative plaster consoles, swags, patera, ionic pilasters, and terrazzo and oak flooring. A major three-story addition to the rear of the building ca. 1935 duplicated the scale and proportion of the original building along with many of the decorative architectural features. On March 9, 1871 the South Carolina Legislature incorporated the town of Florence. As a railroad transfer point and a center for commercial trade, the town grew. In 1888 Florence County was formed, and Florence became the county seat. With the economic growth of the town, as well as its new responsibility as a seat of government, the physical expansion of the town was inevitable. As part of this development, the US Post Office was constructed ca. 1906. A local landmark and a focal point of the downtown area, the old Post Office served as a center of government for over seventy years. It has served as the seat for Federal Court and has contained congressional and other governmental offices. Listed in the National Register December 21, 1977.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.