South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Smith-Cannon House, Florence County (106 W. Market St., Timmonsville)
S1081772101601 S1081772101602 S1081772101603 S1081772101604 S1081772101605
Facade Right Oblique Left Oblique Rear Elevation Turret and
Balustrade
Detail
S1081772101606 S1081772101607 S1081772101608 S1081772101609  
Interior
Drawing Room
Fireplace
Interior
Central Hall
and Stairway
Interior
Main Parlor
Friez Detail
Interior
Diagonal
Beadboard
in Main Parlor

The Smith-Cannon House is located at the end of a tree-lined brick walk on a large, heavily wooded lot. The house was constructed ca. 1897-1900 for Charles Aurelius Smith, prominent government figure as mayor of Timmonsville, member of the state house of representatives, twice lieutenant governor, and governor of South Carolina for five days. Reflecting the Queen Anne style of Victorian era architecture, the Smith-Cannon House has been altered very little. Built on an asymmetrical plan, the house is two stories tall with a full attic and is sheathed in weatherboard. The roof plan is predominantly hip with lateral cross-gables. An outstanding feature of the house is the two-and-one-half story round turret with copper epi, one-over-one, double hung sash windows and small, square windows (with block muntins) in the half story. A one-story, shed roofed porch stretches across the entire fašade, wraps the turret, and extends to form a porte-cochere, which has been incorporated into the porch on the northeast elevation. The Smith-Cannon House features fine detailing including the elaborate mantels, intricately carved frieze in the main parlor, and parquet floors. The house also features unusual round rooms in the turret. Listed in the National Register July 28, 1983.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.