|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Poynor Junior High School, Florence County (301 S. Dargan St., Florence)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Portico Detail|
(Central Graded School; Florence Junior High School) Poynor Junior High School is a two-story brick Georgian Revival school building constructed in 1906-1908. J.F. Ong of Columbia, South Carolina constructed the building according to plans by W.J. Wilkins, who revised original plans by Charles Coker Wilson. The school features a central tetrastyle colossal Ionic portico. The main block of the building has six bays on either side of the portico with four-bay pavilions at each end of the main block. The building has a full brick basement and a stepped parapet above the Ionic entablature that is carried around the entire building. The brickwork is common bond with every sixth course bonding. The mortar is colored red. The pedimented portico has four unfluted Ionic columns and two pilaster responds with Attic bases and Scamozzi capitals. The columns are built of stuccoed brick. Poynor Junior High School has been significant in the lives of Florence citizens as a center of community activity throughout its career. In 1910, a banquet for President William Howard Taft was held at the school. The buildings, grounds, and auditorium were in high demand for recitals, concerts, meetings, lectures, tournaments, fundraisers, and extracurricular classes. Listed in the National Register May 19, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.