South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Lake City Downtown Historic District, Florence County (Main St., & Acline Ave., Lake City)
S1081772101001 S1081772101002 S1081772101003 S1081772101004 S1081772101005
Singletary Building
101 E. Main St.
Lake City State Bank
102 E. Main St.
The Singletary Block
103-105 E. Main St.
Floyd's Drug Co./
Strickland's Jewelers
104-106 E. Main St.
110 E. Main St.
S1081772101006 S1081772101007 S1081772101008 S1081772101009 S1081772101010
Eagles Five and
Ten Cent Store
111 E. Main St.
Weaver's Drug Store Co.
115-117 E. Main St.
116 E. Main St. 118 E. Main St. Johnson-Hanna
Dry Goods
124 E. Main St.
S1081772101011 S1081772101012 S1081772101013 S1081772101014 S1081772101015
J. P. Matthews
and Company
127 E. Main St.
130 E. Main St. Truluck Hotel
132 E. Main St.
Truluck Hotel
134 E. Main St.
Truluck Hotel
136 E. Main St.
S1081772101016 S1081772101017 S1081772101018 S1081772101019 S1081772101020
L. T. Coward
and Company
133 E. Main St.
137 E. Main St. 134 and 141
E. Main St.
148 E. Main St. Farmers' and
Merchant Bank
100 W. Main St.

Page 1 of 3 Next

The Lake City Downtown Historic District is a collection of sixty-two commercial buildings, forty-four of which are contributing to the character of the district, which illustrate the commercial development of the town between roughly 1910 and 1930. The district’s buildings reflect the one- and two-part commercial blocks found in towns throughout the nation, and represent stylistic influences ranging from the late Victorian period examples displaying elaborate brick corbeled cornices and pediments to the more simplified and stripped down Depression-era examples with typical low relief detailing and vertical piers. Corner stores and banks featuring either a Classical or Renaissance Revival style and the brick depot and surrounding brick warehouses help anchor the district along both the town’s Main Street and its broad intersecting railroad corridor. Lake City once had the most diversified agricultural market in both North and South Carolina, marketing such produce as strawberries, snap peas, cucumbers, squash, limas and other assorted vegetables. From its season opening the last of April through the end of July, the city’s agricultural market sold assorted produce. From August 1st until late autumn, the area operated as the state’s second largest tobacco market. As a result of the growth of agriculture in the area in the early twentieth century, the downtown area businessmen began replacing older frame buildings with new brick structures. The success of local cash crops gave a more expendable income to the average farmer in Lake City and was extremely instrumental in changing the face of the downtown area. Listed in the National Register January 23, 2003.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Lake City Downtown Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.