|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hopewell Presbyterian Church and Hopewell Cemetery, Florence County (5314 Old River Rd., Florence)
|Facade||Left Elevation|| Interior
Hopewell Presbyterian Church and Hopewell Cemetery are historically related properties set at opposite sides of Old River Road in the Claussen community of rural Florence County. The church, completed in 1842, is a good example of a two-story frame edifice in the Greek Revival style. The church has a pedimented front gable end, two-story portico with two wood pillars and matching pilasters at the enclosed outer bays, and bands of five windows, taller at the principal level, at the side elevations. The building is clad in weatherboard, except the tympanum and wide architrave have flushboard siding, and rests on a brick pier foundation with brick infill. The cemetery, in use since the late eighteenth century, occupies a three-acre site where the original Hopewell Presbyterian Church stood. It contains a notable collection of nineteenth century marble headstones and monuments, many signed by their carvers, laid out in a distinctive pattern of alignment by family. Inside the cemetery is the church’s early Session House. Listed in the National Register June 2, 2000.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.