|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Florence National Cemetery, Florence County (803 East National Cemetery Rd., Florence)
|Main Entrance||Pedestrian Entrance||Rostrum|| Expansion Area
During the Civil War, one of the largest prisoners of war camps was located in Florence, just south of present-day Florence National Cemetery, which was established in 1865. Early graves were originally marked by headboards, properly lettered, which were later replaced with upright marble headstones. Florence National Cemetery is significant as important component of the multiple property submission of Civil War Era National Cemeteries and for its association with the Civil War. The cemetery is also significant beyond the Civil War era, as it includes the remains of veterans associated with every war and branch of service who have served their country since the Civil War. The main entrance to the north side is protected by double iron gates supported by brick piers and a pedestrian gate on the right side. A second pedestrian gate is located to the west of the main gate. The grounds were originally enclosed by a four-bar fence that was replace in 1877 with a brick wall. The entrance to the south side of the cemetery contains two brick columns and is enclosed by wrought-iron fencing. The brick and concrete administration/utility building, constructed in 1906, is located to the east of the main entrance and contains public restrooms. A brick and concrete rostrum, 15 feet by 11 feet 4 inches, with wrought-iron railing, was constructed in 1938. Listed in the National Register October 19, 1997
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Civil War Era National Cemeteries includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.