|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Christ Episcopal Church, Florence County (S.C. Hwy. 327, Florence vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Rear Elevation||Cemetery|| Interior
Christ Episcopal Church was constructed in 1859 and is an excellent vernacular example of the “Carpenter Gothic” (Gothic Revival) style of architecture. Cruciform in plan, the church is of board and batten construction and rests upon low brick piers. The roof is steeply pitched with simple wooden brackets supporting the eaves. Windows and doors are pointed-arched and feature simple wooden tracery. The church is exemplary of the small and frequently isolated churches in South Carolina which have played an important part in the religious and social life of their surrounding communities. The history of Christ Episcopal Church began ca. 1843 when Dr. Edward Porcher, formerly of the lower part of the state, was successful in arranging for Episcopal services to be held in the Mars Bluff community. In 1859, Dr. Porcher gave two acres of land on which the present church was erected. Families associated with the church included Greggs, Bacots, Ashbys, Harllees, Rogers, and McCalls. Adjacent to the church and included in the nominated acreage is a cemetery that contains the graves of many of the original parishioners and their descendents. Listed in the National Register November 14, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.