|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Bonnie Shade, Florence County (1439 Cherokee Rd., Florence)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation||Right Elevation|
Bonnie Shade is considered to be the second oldest house located within the city limits of Florence. Built circa 1854, Bonnie Shade predates the incorporation of the city of Florence in 1871. An excellent example of mid-nineteenth century Greek Revival architecture, the structure is also significant for its association with locally prominent individuals. This raised cottage features several interesting architectural elements. These include the pilasters located at its corners, the free-standing columns supporting the pediment and portico, the central projecting dining room on the rear, and the paneled plaster ceiling in the west parlor. Tradition indicates that Bonnie Shade was built by James Alexander Pettigrew on land located on the western edge of his then Darlington County plantation. Pettigrew, a prosperous planter, is said to have constructed the house as a wedding present for his daughter, Anna Eugenia, who married Joseph E. Wingate in 1856. Tradition indicates that Wingate planted many of the shrubs and trees still located on the Bonnie Shade property. In 1895 the Bonnie Shade property passed from the Wingate family to Joseph Woods Brunson and his wife, Jane Melinda Brunson. According to tradition, Jane Melinda Brunson christened the house “Bonnie Shade” in deference to both her Scottish heritage and to the many large trees located on the property. Listed in the National Register November 14, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.