|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Winnsboro Historic District, Fairfield County
|Town Clock|| Fairfield County
|Thespian Hall|| Fairfield
| Mt. Zion
|Ketchin Building||Beatty House||Wolfe House|| Kirkpatrick
|Johnson House||Meng House||McCreight House||Willingham House||Gladden House|
|Page 1 of 2|
Winnsboro is significant historically, architecturally, and culturally. The town was laid out in 1785 and named for the Revolutionary War hero, Richard Winn, who served in the U.S. Congress and as SC Lieutenant Governor. Lord Cornwallis had his headquarters here in 1780. Winnsboro, the county seat, features a wide range of architectural significance, from early simple frame houses that reflect utilitarian aspects of the Scotch-Irish, the first principal settlers, to pronounced styles such as Federal and Greek Revival. There are more than 50 buildings over 100 years old, mostly residences but also including the Courthouse and the town clock. Many residences are typical upcountry frame houses, built in an L-shape with long piazzas running across the front, reflecting the increasing wealth from cotton. Homes became more pretentious in the 1840s and 1850s. Much lowcountry influence is evident in the architecture, after planters moved here for health reasons. A number of Greek Revival and Federal mansions remain. Listed in the National Register October 14, 1971.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Winnsboro Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.