|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Monroe Wilson House, Fairfield County (Railroad Ave., Ridgeway)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Main Entrance||Porch Detail|
The Monroe Wilson House is a two-story frame house considered as one of the two best examples of Victorian vernacular architecture in Ridgeway. It is well preserved and essentially intact. Built about 1890, this vernacular Victorian residence is a rectangular weatherboarded building with ells on the fašade and side. A porch runs along the fašade and southeast elevation with fret sawn vertical splats on the railing and square supporting posts with elaborate brackets. The fret sawn detailing is of high quality, indicative of the owner’s status in the town. The gable roof has a boxed cornice with returns, with several cross gables with returns and three dormers on the northwest side with returns. The cornice is supported by elaborate brackets. There is a small second story porch over the front entrance with railings identical to that on the first story porch. The door on the second story has multi-paned sidelights and transom. There are three interior single chimney stacks and a small screened porch at the rear. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Ridgeway includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.