|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Valencia, Fairfield County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 106, Ridgeway vicinity)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation||Chimney Detail||Outbuilding|
|View from Facade|
A Fairfield County landmark, this upcountry plantation house reflects the lowcountry background of its original owner, whose descendants have consistently maintained its character. Valencia was built by Edward Gendron Palmer, a leader in civic, political, and religious life of Ridgeway and Fairfield County, who exerted much influence in building of railroads in upper South Carolina. He studied at Dr. Moses Waddel’s school at Willington, graduated from South Carolina College, A.B. 1819, read law in Columbia, and was admitted to the South Carolina Bar in 1821. Palmer was a member of the Nullification Convention (1834-1848) and the South Carolina Senate (1857-65). He was instrumental in building Fairfield District’s first Episcopal place of worship, Cedar Creek Mission, and Saint Stephen’s Episcopal Church in 1854. Valencia is a large two-story frame house on a brick pier foundation built ca. 1834. The house features a hipped roof, two mammoth chimneys, and a broad one-story piazza with unique elliptical arches. The interior features long central halls on both floors, high-ceilinged rooms, carved trim and woodwork, and noteworthy mantels. The home overlooks gently rolling hills. The view, reminiscent of the family’s travels to Valencia, Spain, inspired the property’s name. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.