|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
St. Stephens Episcopal Church, Fairfield County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 106, Ridgeway)
The oldest church in Ridgeway, and the oldest public building in the area, St. Stephen’s (ca. 1854) is a gem of modified Gothic Revival architecture. The church features a steep flared gabled roof with a rose window in the gable. The front entrance is on the west end with double doors. A steep gabled pavilion with double doors is on the south side. The exterior was originally of pine, painted maroon. Around 1920, the church was brick veneered. A wing, containing the parish house and church school, was added in the 1940s. The pine interior is given a finish, which is rare, described as a “lost art.” It was stained or painted in natural brown (pine-like) and while the pain or varnish was still wet, rubbed vertically with heavy burlap bagging, giving the wood a “natural finish” of wood grain appearance. The sanctuary furnishings are mahogany. Windows were originally of clear glass, papered with a stained-glass-like paper. In 1949 stained glass windows designed and made by the Payne Studios of Patterson, NJ were installed. The church has been in continuous use. The grounds include a well-kept cemetery with tombstones bearing the names of builders and early families. A handsome wrought-iron fence and gateway encloses the churchyard. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.