|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Shivar Springs Bottling Company Cisterns, Fairfield County
(S.C. Sec. Rd. 49, E. of Broad River, Clayton vicinity)
|Cistern #5||Cisterns #4 and #5||Cistern #1|| Cistern #1,
|Cisterns #2 and #3|
The Shivar Springs Bottling Cisterns are a group of six cylindrical, stuccoed stone cisterns with concrete domes, constructed ca. 1900. The Shivar Springs Bottling Company was in operation from ca. 1900 to ca. 1950. At first the company produced only mineral water which was sold for medicinal purposes. Later both mineral water and soft drinks were produced from the spring water and shipped throughout the state. The six cisterns are the most visible, intact evidence of the Shivar Springs Bottling Company, which employed about thirty-five people in 1914. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fairfield County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.