|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Old Stone House, Fairfield County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 54, Lebanon vicinity)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|
The Old Stone House is significant as a rare example of eighteenth-century stone construction. Samuel Gladney (ca. 1740-1800) received a royal land grant in 1768 on which he constructed the Old Stone House. A corner of the house bears the date 1784. The house passed through several owners before it was purchased in 1870 by the Lebanon Presbyterian Church for use as a parsonage. The house is a two-story, side-gable roofed, stone building, with a double-pile floor plan and end chimneys of stone. The front porch foundation and stone piers remain, although porch roof and supports have been removed. The fašade has a central door with a massive stone lintel flanked by single four-over-four windows with stone lintels. The second story has three four-over-four, shuttered windows. The rear elevation has an off-center entrance flanked by two single windows. The second story has two four-over-four windows and a third that has been filled with stone. The roof is covered with metal. December 6, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fairfield County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.