|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
The Oaks, Fairfield County (S.C. Hwy. 213/S.C Rd. 54 intesection vicinity)
|Facade||Main Entrance||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Right Elevation|
The Oaks was reportedly named for an oak grove which originally surrounded the house. It is significant as an intact example of an antebellum Fairfield County plantation house. Believed to have been constructed ca. 1850, the Oaks is a large, two-story, weatherboarded frame residence with a gable-end roof. The fašade has a central, two-tiered portico with a pediment featuring a fanlight and boxed cornice. The porticos are supported by four simple wooden columns and have plain wooden balustrades. The portion of the fašade sheltered by the portico is sheathed in flushboard. The fenestration of the fašade is similar on both stories—a central entrance with traceried multi-light sidelights and transom flanked by two single, six-over-six windows with shutters. The rear elevation has a one-story, shed-roofed porch supported by four wooden columns with a plain balustrade on the left portion and an enclosed room on the right. Side elevations feature double-end chimneys and pedimented gable ends with boxed cornices. The property on which the Oaks stands was sold to John Montgomery Lemmon by Richard Hallum in 1856 for $10,000. Lemmon was a moderately wealthy planter with nineteen slaves and a farm which was valued at $10,000 in 1860. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fairfield County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.