|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Monticello Methodist Church, Fairfield County (S.C. Hwy. 215, Monticello)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique|
According to a history of Monticello Methodist Church, the building was constructed in 1861 by Jacob Bookman. The church is significant as a very intact example of a mid-nineteenth century rural church building. The interior retains the original pews as well as the former slave gallery along three wall elevations. The church is a one-story, front gable-roofed, weatherboarded frame building in the Greek Revival style with a meeting house floor plan. The fašade end of the gable is pedimented with a boxed cornice, plain frieze, and has a semicircular vent in the gable. The portico is supported by octagonal wooden columns on a stepped brick entrance. The fašade has three entrance doors topped by Gothic Revival inspired pointed-arched, modern stained glass transom windows. The central entrance also has modern stained glass sidelights above wooden panels. The side elevations have multi-light, shuttered windows. There is a cemetery to the left of the church. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fairfield County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.