|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Liberty Universalist Church/Feasterville Academy Historic District,
Fairfield County (S.C. Hwy. 215, Clayton vicinity)
The Liberty Universalist Church and Feasterville Academy Historic District is a significant collection of early to mid-nineteenth century educational and religious buildings. The church is the only known nineteenth century Universalist Church remaining in the state and the academy complex is an unusually intact collection of buildings associated with an antebellum academy. The district contains four frame buildings believed to have been constructed between 1830 and 1845. The Church is located in a clearing on the western side of the highway. Three buildings associated with the Academy (a boarding house, a kitchen, and a school building) are located in a clearing on the eastern side. According to tradition the Universalist faith was established in the Beaver Creek section of rural Fairfield County by members of the Feaster family. The first member of the family to settle in Fairfield County was Andrew Feaster (1735-1821), a native of Switzerland. Feaster and his son John were both reputed to have been advocates of universal salvation. It is not known exactly when the Feasterville Academy was first organized. In 1841 the “trustees of Feasterville Academy” contracted with L.F.W. Andrews, an Universalist minister, to teach “the usual English and Classical branches” for the year 1842. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Liberty Universalist Church/Feasterville Academy Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fairfield County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.