South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Bob Lemmon House, Fairfield County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 54 near int. with S.C. Sec. Rd. 70, Winnsboro vicinity)
S1081772002001 S1081772002002 S1081772002003 S1081772002004 S1081772002005
Facade Left Oblique Right Elevation Rear Elevation Outbuilding
S1081772002006        
Interior
Mantel

The Bob Lemmon House is significant as a virtually intact example of an antebellum vernacular farmhouse with classical Federal elements which reflect the builder’s awareness of popular stylistic detailing. A Fairfield Sketchbook states that the Bob Lemmon House was probably built before the Civil War by the Owen family and was later known as the Copeland Place. According to the Sketchbook John Montgomery Lemmon, a wealthy planter, bought the house for his son, Robert Young Lemmon, in 1870. The likely ca. 1850 house is a two-story, weatherboarded frame I-House, gable-roofed residence with a single pile, central hall plan with rear shed room additions. The fašade features a two-tiered pedimented portico with four wooden Tuscan columns and a plain balustrade on each level. A fanlight is centered in the pediment. A central entrance with sidelights and transom is flanked by two nine-over-nine windows. There is a third exterior chimney on the right rear shed room. The property also includes a ca. 1910 shed and a ca. 1890 barn, both of frame construction sheathed in weatherboard. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fairfield County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.