|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hunter House, Fairfield County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 3, Ridgeway vicinity)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Left Elevation|
The Hunter House is a locally significant example of an early nineteenth-century residence on a raised basement with elements of the Federal style on both the interior and exterior. The Hunter House is a one-and-one-half story, weatherboarded building on a raised brick basement. The L-shaped house, which is said to have been constructed before 1820, has a gable roof and exterior end chimneys. The roof is covered with standing seam metal. The chimneys and the exterior of the basement level are stuccoed. The five-bay fašade features a pedimented porch sheltering the three central bays. The porch rests on stuccoed piers. The roof of the porch is supported by square wood posts connected by elliptical arches and a plain balustrade. A flight of wooden steps with a plain balustrade leads to the porch. The fašade beneath the porch is sheathed in flushboard. The house has an ell on the rear and a small wing on the east elevation. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fairfield County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.