|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hunstanton, Fairfield County (U.S. Hwy. 321, Winnsboro vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|
(Sweet Briar) Hunstanton is a significant example of an antebellum Fairfield County planter’s residence on a raised basement. The house features Greek Revival elements including pilasters, entablature, pediment, and proportions. Hunstanton, which appears to have been built ca. 1850, is a one-and-one-half story, weatherboarded frame residence on a raised brick basement. The house is rectangular in plan with a rear ell. The roof is end-gabled and there are two interior chimneys. The gable ends are pedimented. The fašade features a pedimented porch with paneled wooden pillars connected by a plain balustrade. The porch, which rest on brick piers, shelters the three central bays of the five-bay fašade. The section of the fašade under the porch is sheathed in flushboard. The central bay contains a double-door entrance with sidelights and transom. Curved granite steps lead from the ground to each side of the porch. An addition on the center of the rear of the house appears to have been an early expansion. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fairfield County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.