|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Dr. John Glenn House, Fairfield County (S.C. Hwy 215, Jenkinsville vicinity)
The Dr. John Glenn House is significant as an intact example of an antebellum vernacular Greek Revival residence. Stylistic elements of the Dr. John Glenn House suggest a ca. 1845 construction date. In that year Dr. Glenn purchased land in the Little River area from the Thompson family. The Dr. John Glenn House is a two-story, weatherboarded frame, end-gabled residence with a double-pile and central-hall plan with a rear shed room. The front rooms have wide horizontal plank walls above paneled wainscoting. A two-tiered porch with a pedimented gable end shelters the three central bays of the five-bay fašade. The porches are supported by four paneled wooden posts and feature a plain wooden balustrade on both levels. The fašade, which is symmetrical on both levels, has a central door flanked on each side by two six-over-six windows. The first story door features a six-pane transom and four-pane sidelights; the second story door has sidelights but no transom. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fairfield County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.