|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Furman Institution Faculty Residence, Fairfield County
(int. of S.C. Hwy. 213 & S.C. Sec. Rds. 70 & 23, Winnsboro vicinity)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Right Rear Elevation|
Constructed ca. 1837, the Furman Institution Faculty Residence is a two-story, brick building with a hipped roof and end chimneys. The fašade has a central, double-leaf entrance flanked on each side by multi-paned modern windows. The second story fašade has five multi-paned modern windows. The single story, hip roofed front porch with slender wooden posts was constructed ca. 1936. There is a ca. 1925 kitchen extension on the northwest elevation. The building serves as a visible reminder of the early history of Furman University and its brief establishment in Fairfield County. Furman Institution was established by the Baptist Denomination in South Carolina in 1827 in Edgefield, but was moved to the High Hills of the Santee (now Stateburg) in 1828 because of financial difficulties. When the school was threatened with financial collapse again in 1834, the Reverend Jonathan Davis, chairman of the board of trustees, urged the board to move the school to his native Fairfield County. It wasn’t until 1851 that South Carolina Baptists were able to raise the necessary funds for the removal of the school to Greenville. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fairfield County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.