|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Davis Plantation, Fairfield County (S.C. Hwy 215, Monticello vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Elevation|
The agricultural character of the Davis property has been consistently maintained from its original plantation cotton planting days to the time of its nomination. The house was built by James B. Davis, descendant of Revolutionary War Captain, James Kincaid. An early pioneer in South Carolina agricultural development, Davis was educated as a doctor at the South Carolina Medical College and the Medical College of Pennsylvania. After practicing medicine for two years in Winnsboro, he returned to this plantation and devoted his time to agricultural interests and to breeding thoroughbred horses and livestock. This two-story, white frame Greek Revival style house, built sometime between 1840-1850, is a good example of the imposing architecture that developed from the period of cotton wealth. The house has a hipped roof and two mammoth chimneys. It is fronted with a classic gabled portico supported by four square, paneled Doric columns on heavy masonry bases. A fanlight window is in the pediment, and semi-elliptical fanlights and sidelights surround the doors of both floors. The house is situated on a high knoll, its long drive approach lined with pecan and live oak trees. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.