|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Century House, Fairfield County (S.C. Hwy. 34, Ridgeway)
|Facade||Right Rear Elevation||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|
(Brick House; Beauregard’s Headquarters) Century House is significant architecturally and historically. Situated on the Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad near the center of town, the house became the center of the social and business life of Ridgeway. During the Civil War, Century House entertained and sheltered many refugees from Low Country South Carolina and Georgia. Century House also served as the headquarters for General P.T.G. Beauregard and his staff when Columbia was evacuated upon the approach of Gen. Sherman’s Army in 1865. Century House is a large, two-story brick house built ca. 1853. The Greek Revival design features double-tiered, balustraded piazzas and a crowing pediment on the fašade. The double doors on both floors have glass transoms and sidelights. The original interior was composed of four rooms with an unusually large dining room and a wide hall on the first floor. The second floor had four rooms, a central hall, and a large ballroom. Two stairways include the main staircase and a service stairway to the ballroom. Listed in the National Register August 19, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.