|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Dr. Walter Brice House, Fairfield County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 22, Woodward vicinity)
|Right Oblique||Right Rear Oblique||Left Rear Oblique|| Interior
|Office|| Log Cabin
The Dr. Walter Brice House is significant as an unusually intact example of the residence of a prominent Fairfield County planter and physician before the Civil War. Dr. Walter Brice (1804 - ca. 1871 attended Mt. Zion College in Winnsboro and Jefferson College in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania. He graduated from the Charleston College of Medicine in 1831. In 1860 he owned 52 slaves, real estate totaling $25,500, and personal property valued at $5,289. The house (ca. 1840) is a two-story, weatherboarded frame, L-shaped building with a side gabled roof and exterior end chimneys. A two-tiered, pedimented veranda on the center front features a plain balustrade and four wooden pillars on both levels with a diamond muntined window in the pediment. Multi-paned sidelights and transom frame the second floor entrance, while the first story door features an elliptical traceried fanlight with traceried sidelights above recessed panels. The Greek Revival elements reflect awareness on the part of the builder of the stylistic details that were popular at the time. The Dr. Walter Brice Office sits southeast of the house. It is a ten-foot-by-twelve-foot weatherboarded frame building with gabled metal roof, stuccoed end chimney, and boxed cornice. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fairfield County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.