|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Pottersville, Edgefield County (Address Restricted)
The Pottersville kiln site, built in 1810 by Abner Landrum, was in existence until the Civil War when it was abandoned. The importance of this site lies in the production and distribution of the alkaline glazed wares. This type of glazing had been in existence since Egyptian times in the form of low fired wares. However, in the southern United States, at such kilns as Pottersville the technique was applied to high fired, or stoneware, vessels. This high firing made the vessels less porous and more serviceable. The jugs and jars attributed to the potters of Pottersville were in their own right fine examples of alkaline glazed stoneware and were decorated in imaginative ways. There appears to have been a migration of these potters and their ideas westward at the middle of the eighteenth century. This site is important as an example in the history of South Carolina pottery as there are no longer potters in the state making this type of ware. The Pottersville kiln site is now a large mound in a grassy field atop a hill. An adjoining depression may have been the kiln itself with the waster dumps now the mound. Listed in the National Register January 17, 1975.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.