South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Johnston Historic District, Edgefield County (Johnston)
S1081771900801 S1081771900802 S1081771900803 S1081771900804 S1081771900805
John Payne House
112 Calhoun St.
136 Calhoun St. Carwile-Huiet House
302 Calhoun St.
A. J. Mobley House
607 Edisto St.
Johnston Depot
Calhoun St.
S1081771900806 S1081771900807 S1081771900808 S1081771900809 S1081771900810
Western Carolina Bank
422 Calhoun St.
H. W. Crouch Building
432 Calhoun St.
500-502 Calhoun St. Bank of Johnston
534 Calhoun St.
Crouch-Halford House
515 Calhoun St.
S1081771900811 S1081771900812 S1081771900813 S1081771900814 S1081771900815
305 Jackson St. Johnston First
Baptist Church
700 Church St.
LaGrone-Derrick House
521 Calhoun St.
Ouzts-Walker House
708 Calhoun St.
Budwell House
815 Calhoun St.
S1081771900816 S1081771900817 S1081771900818 S1081771900819 S1081771900820
914 Calhoun St. J. W. Cox House
602 Lee St.
The Saluda House
601 Mims Ave.
Mount of Olives
Mims Ave.
Mary Eliza
Walker House
218 Edisto St.

Page 1 of 2 Next

The Johnston Historic District is composed of 146 properties within and adjacent to the town of Johnston. Centrally located in the historic district is the three-block long commercial area around which are several residential neighborhoods. The commercial and residential properties that form the district reflect the period of Johnston’s greatest growth—from approximately 1880 to 1920—and include a variety of architectural designs such as Italianate, Second Empire, Victorian, Queen Anne, and Neo-Classical. The district also includes three churches and the town’s cemetery. The railroad, which passes through Johnston, was the primary cause for the creation of the town and continues to be a daily reminder of the town’s early transportation history. When the railroad was constructed it passed directly through a plantation owned by Dr. Edward J. Mims, and today this land makes up much of the town of Johnston. The railroad station was named “Johnston” in honor of the president of the Charlotte-Columbia-Augusta Railroad. Mim’s son Matthew Hansford Mims reputedly laid out the town, and his plan designated Johnston as an area one-mile square with its mid-point at the intersection of Lee and Calhoun Streets. Parallel and perpendicular streets also were designated and each block was divided into four one-acre lots. Listed in the National Register August 25, 1983.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Johnston Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.