South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Summervile Historic District, Dorchester County (Summerville)
S1081771801101 S1081771801102 S1081771801103 S1081771801104 S1081771801105
Tupper's Drug Store
147 Central Ave.
O. J. Sire's
Commercial Building
South Main St.
White Gables
603 W. Richardson Ave.
White Gables Gazebo
W. Richardson Ave.
House Gazebo
200 S. Hickory St.
S1081771801106 S1081771801107 S1081771801108 S1081771801109 S1081771801110
Pettigru-Lebby House
Well House
200 S. Hickory St.
Lanneau House
404 Central Ave.
Ancrum-Waring House
515 W. Carolina Ave.
S. Laurel St.
Wesley United
Methodist Church
Pressley St.
S1081771801111 S1081771801112 S1081771801113 S1081771801114 S1081771801115
J. Gould Day
House Gazebo
409 Central Ave.
Squirrel Inn
116 W. 5th South St.
Elizabeth Arden
House Gazebo
208 Sumter Ave.
Price House
224 Sumter Ave.
Welch House
301 Clifton Ave.
S1081771801116 S1081771801117 S1081771801118 S1081771801119 S1081771801120
Brownfield House
230 Sumter Ave.
Dr. William
Prioleau House
302 Sumter Ave.
Golfin House
Slave Cabin
304 Hampton St.
St. Paul's
Episcopal Church
316 W. Carolina Ave.
Gelzer Brother's House
413 Sumter Ave.

Page 1 of 2 Next

Summerville originated as a pineland summer refuge for low country planters. Originally the streets were laid out without any plan and winding roads still characterize the oldest section of town. This “old town” lies in the southwestern portion of the historic district and contains about two thirds of the land and half the structures of the district. The South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company laid out the more regular “new town” in 1832. Streets run parallel and at right angles to the track laid in 1830-1831. The “old town” and that portion of the “new town” were incorporated into the village of Summerville in 1847. Following the Civil War, wealthy northerners began wintering there. The town’s designation in 1887 as a health spot gave it an impetus as a resort, which was not lost until the Depression of the 1930s. There are approximately seven hundred structures within the nominated area; about 70% predate World War I. Uniting the different building styles of the town is a common sensitivity to the natural setting and to the local landscaping traditions reflected in streetscapes, parks and gardens. Raised cottages, Greek Revival influenced, and Victorian/Queen Anne and other turn of the century structures are found throughout. Antebellum buildings are principally located in the southern and western areas. Churches are located in the center of the district, and the commercial buildings—most dating from around 1900—are located on either side of the town square in front of the present town hall, which faces the railroad. Additionally, Summerville has been the center for azalea culture and there is a variety of azaleas popularly named “The Pride of Summerville.” Listed in the National Register May 19, 1976.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Summerville Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.