|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Appleby's Methodist Church, Dorchester County (Jct. of S.C. Sec. Rds. 19 & 71, St. George vicinity)
|Facade|| Left Oblique
|Left Elevation||Rear Elevation||Interior|
Appleby Church is presumably named for James Preston Appleby, who donated four acres of land for the church site. The building is an excellent example of the Greek Revival, meeting house style of church architecture. It is a one-story wooden structure built upon low brick piers. It was probably built ca. 1840-1850 and is virtually original. The front fašade features two double doors, each having two panels. Three low brick steps lead to the entrance. The side facades each have four evenly spaced 9/9 windows; the rear fašade is identical to the front, with the exception of having only one double door. The building is clapboard and the medium gable roof is presently covered with asphalt shingles. The cornice is boxed. On the church’s interior, two rows of pews, thought to be original, are divided by a central aisle. During the state’s Tricentennial celebration in 1970, signs were placed along the walls indicating that which is believed to have been the original seating arrangement in Appleby’s Methodist Church. The northern area was designated for “gentlemen,” the southern area for “ladies and courting couples,” and the northwest area was an “Amen Corner.” A late nineteenth-century cemetery is included in this nomination. Listed in the National Register February 14, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.